Notes Reviews Vinyl Tag via Niamh the Prog Nerd

 


Yesterday Niamh the Prog Nerd did another vinyl tag video, this one from Notes Reviews. I follow her channel so I have decided to jump on board for fun and do the same thing on my blog with the CDs and cassettes I own.

The questions this time were:

1. An album you got for free (bonus points if it was from the band)

2. A 'rainy day' album

3. An album that has grown on you (didn't like when you first heard it, now you do)

4. An album that has a female member in the band that doesn't sing lead vocals

5. A 'cottage vibes' album

6. An album that has Mike Portnoy on drums (bonus points if it is NOT Dream Theater)

7. A Side Project album

8. First album purchased with own money

9. A 'nostalgic' album

10. An album obtained at a concert

11. A quintessential summer album

12. Most expensive single record bought (not a box set or double/triple CD)

13. An album you own more than once (across the same format)

14. A quintessential Canadian

15. An album that marked a stark change in musical style

16. A Feel Good album

17. An album you inherited from family members

18. An album bought solely on the basis of the cover art

19. A high school/secondary school flashback album

20. An album that tells an epic story

OK here we go...

1. An album you got for free (bonus points if it was from the band)

No bonus points- I have a handful of free CD compilations that came with the magazine Classic Rock when I used to buy it. So I paid for the magazine but the CDs were a nice free addition.


(the 'coffee cup stain' on the sleeve on the right is part of the actual artwork on it, by the way!)

2. A 'rainy day' album

This could encompass a broad range of choices. I went for a Led Zeppelin album, but not one that has 'The Rain Song' on it! I went for Led Zeppelin- Presence because the album sounds like unsettled, stormy weather and it has a rock sound for a bleak rainy day. 'Achilles Last Stand' is thunder, 'Tea for One' is stuck inside while gloomy drizzle is outside.


3. An album that has grown on you (didn't like when you first heard it, now you do)

I am going to pick exactly the same album and band that Niamh did, King Crimson- Lark Tongues in Aspic as I had precisely the same reaction to it. I couldn't think of an alternative because I don't buy a lot of albums/CDs by artists or bands that I don't like or that I know I won't. King Crimson are not an immediately accessible band. I did like Red immediately, with its heavy guitar sound, but both In the Court of the Crimson King and Lark Tongues in Aspic took longer to get into, particularly the latter.


4. An album that has a female member in the band that doesn't sing lead vocals

I thought of Talking Heads and Tina Weymouth first of all as well, but after the last question I will have to go differently in terms of what I own; I eventually picked David Bowie's band on Earthling. Gail Ann Dorsey plays bass and sings backing vocals.



5. A 'cottage vibes' album

I'll pick Fleetwood Mac and Kiln House. This is where the album was recorded and the album cover art (by Christine McVie) speaks for itself:


6. An album that has Mike Portnoy on drums (bonus points if it is NOT Dream Theater)

I get bonus points- Liquid Tension Experiment.



7. A Side Project album

I'll pick the 1995 side project by Suede's Bernard Butler and David McAlmont from Thieves, The Sound of McAlmont and Butler. They'd left their bands at this point but they have mainly had solo careers, they've never committed to being a full time duo, so I'm counting it as a side project. I only have this, I haven't got the follow-up album from when they reunited in 2002. I only bought it because of the Suede connection and the single 'Yes' from it.


8. First album purchased with own money

I bought a batch of cassettes in the late 1980s that were my first purchases with 'pocket money'. I showed Iron Maiden-Killers in the last blog post. Another one from this batch was Queen- Sheer Heart Attack.


9. A 'nostalgic' album

This can be taken two ways I guess- either an album that has a musical feel of nostalgia; or one that makes me feel nostalgic. An album I own with a nostalgic, timeless and evocative kind of sound is XTC Skylarking, but I am not going to feature that one. I decided instead to go with an album that makes me specifically think back to the past. So I decided to pick Def Leppard- Hysteria. It's one of the first albums I bought along with the ones I mentioned previously, it just sounds very 1980s and has that 80s production sound, and I remember listening to it at the time. I had it on cassette previously, but I now have it on CD.


10. An album obtained at a concert

Can't answer this one, never have got a cassette or CD at a concert. Moving swiftly on...

11. A quintessential summer album

I'll go with a late 1990s indie rock/Britpop album, Suede- Head Music. It has a very summery feel, more like breezy power pop more than the indie rock of Oasis at the time.


12. Most expensive single record bought (not a box set or double/triple CD)

The most expensive single CD I have bought cost me 28 euros for the CD and for the postage/packaging combined, and that was the only album released by an early 1970s hard rock band called Jerusalem. It cost so much because it's relatively difficult to get hold of, without ordering from Japan or paying well over the odds for it, but I found it at that price on Discogs.


13. An album you own more than once (across the same format)

I own original issue Megadeth CDs and the later remixed & remastered versions that Dave Mustaine did in 2004(?). So I have Megadeth - Rust in Peace in both the original and the remix/remaster version, both on CD format.



14. A quintessential Canadian

I could have gone with members of Rush too, but instead I'll go with Neil Young- Harvest


15. An album that marked a stark change in musical style

I had a tie on this. I also thought about David Bowie, Young Americans but I already featured Earthling in this. As two great examples I could not separate Radiohead- Kid A; and Rush- Signals. So two for the price of one. Radiohead went deeper into electronica and experimental rock with Kid A, and Rush completed their transition from 70s progressive hard rock and metal to 80s synthesiser-driven soft pop-rock with Signals.


16. A Feel Good album

I'll pick the most positive and feel good progressive rock band that there is. In relation to positivity, the clue is in the name. Yes. Yes- Fragile


17. An album you inherited from family members

My parents kindly gave me this. The Best of the Kinks



18. An album bought solely on the basis of the cover art

I don't usually make blind buys, but ClarkOVision showed this album by Screamer on her Youtube channel. I knew they were a band I would like and I thought the cover was awesome, and it's titled Hell Machine, how could it possibly be bad?...went out and ordered it purely on that basis. No regrets.


19. A high school/secondary school flashback album

I think everyone in my school sixth form went out and bought this album when it came out in 1995, including myself. 


20. An album that tells an epic story

I had a tie on this one too, so I've picked both. Niamh picked Dream Theater so I decided that I couldn't go with Metropolis Part 2: Scenes from a Memory or The Astonishing. Instead it's a tie between two classics, one from the 1980s and one from the 1970s:  Queensryche- Operation Mindcrime and Genesis- The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Small World

The Mothers of Darkness Castle

Brian Lumley's Vampire World