The writer's mindset

The blank page is always an intimidating prospect for any writer. I could probably say the same thing about my blog sometimes!

In the midst of writing new work at the moment, and at that stage when writing ten pages in a day of a first draft is a small triumph. I'm working on two novels and a collection of short stories simultaneously, hopefully proving that men can indeed multi-task and we are not restricted by tunnel vision. The logic to working in this way is that should I hit writer's block or poor flow with a novel or story that I'm working on, then I can switch to another for variety's sake, then switch back with a fresh viewpoint.

At the moment my method is simply to complete a first draft, and then go back and fill in gaps, expand detail and characterisation, spot inconsistences and iron out flaws, grammatical or otherwise. I could compare it to creating the skeleton before adding meat to the bones.

In the coming months, I'll know whether this method has worked. The other challenges I'm facing are in regard to juggling my time, maintaining motivation and marketing my already-published work, in addition to sending work to magazines.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Small World

The Mothers of Darkness Castle

Brian Lumley's Vampire World