Pirates and other marine life

One of the problems I had with my novel 'The Pirate Princess' was writing it for a particular audience as children have a particularly affinity with pirate tales, but I wanted to introduce more fantasy elements and darker themes within the story too. In the end, I suppose my completed novel(la) was one that could be aimed at 'young adults' which wasn't necessarily a bad thing, but I still have a sense of dissatisfaction with the finished book. I have thought since I completed it that I could have done a bit more with it. That's why I'm planning to write a sequel, which will be a much more complex book. However, I didn't realise that Tim Powers had got there first with the kind of idea that has been playing on my mind for a while.

I think I am still going to write the book eventually though but I'm glad that I didn't read 'On Stranger Tides' by Tim Powers before I wrote 'The Pirate Princess', as I wouldn't have wanted to be too heavily influenced by his ideas in this novel. I haven't read this book yet and as I have my plans to write a sequel I probably shouldn't, but you will recognise the title as the sub-title for the latest Pirates of the Caribbean film. Hollywood took an option on his story and fitted it into Jack Sparrow's film canon (Powers' hero is called Jack Shandy).



File:Strangertides.jpg

More about the novel here

Coincidentally, bearing in mind my blog post of a few weeks ago, Tim Powers was also a so-called protege of Philip K.Dick.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Small World

The Mothers of Darkness Castle

Brian Lumley's Vampire World