Urban myth: A Message from the future

You can find sources of inspiration for fiction anywhere. Sometimes even, amongst the trolls and supercilious commentators, on internet forums. I saw this interesting discussion about a so-called 'message from the future' while I was browsing online, researching conspiracy theories and I noted it down. It falls into the category of urban myth, or a televisual hoax that fooled people. I don't necessarily doubt the veracity of the person who is relating what he saw, it's just that most likely it was a advertising gimmick, a promotion for an upcoming television series or film. Nevertheless, it makes an intriguing story and perhaps the starting point for the premise of a separate work of fiction:


I remember this, at least I remember an incident such as this. This is what I recall.

It was on Channel 4 and it was an advert break. In the middle of one of the advertisements the television made a bizarre noise with interference, not like simulated interference but I recall the television itself making a low pitched buzz.

There was a woman in black standing on a platform with the camera panning in and out, and side to side. It was similar to when they have remote control cameras attached on ropes to four sides of a football stadium roof, that physically focuses in to where the action is.

I recall the last words she said was something like "We will leave you to your future", the television made the same strange buzz/interference and the broadcast resumed in the middle of an Audi advert.

I can understand the flippant replies as it sounds a far fetched tale but it had quite a profound effect at the time. I too had Googled for other people who had seen this or similar incidents and this is the first time I have found anything.


Regarding dates, I can't be precise but I saw this in a house that I lived in between 1986 and 1992.

Here is the original link for this post that intrigued me, and the forum thread: http://www.sciforums.com/threads/message-from-the-future.34713/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Small World

The Mothers of Darkness Castle

Brian Lumley's Vampire World